Search This Blog

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Sturton 2008











Sturton in Lincolnshire is a small village with a very big show. I had a good one this year (the 121st annual show!), winning 13 'red cards' for long carrots, stump carrots, parsnips, heaviest carrot, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, exhibition shallots, pickling shallots, tomato truss, brussels, collection of veg and one flower/one veg.


I was lucky enough to win trophies for most points in the veg for the 7th year running and the most points in show for the 5th time, although I have some way to go to match the record of the legendary Les Stothard with 22 wins! Best in show this year was for a marvellous set of leeks by a Mr I.Justice, and me 'ole mucker Kev Broxholme won most points in the flowers winning all 3 dahlia classes in the process. A good day then became excellent as I had a pint in the local pub as I watched Man Utd beat Blackburn and thus leapfrog Hull in the table! Phew!

No comments: