Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Next year's varieties

Long carrot – Resel. New Red Intermediate from Graeme Watson
Parsnip – Pinnacle (Medwyns)
Stumps – Sweet Candle (Medwyns/Shelleys)
Potatoes – Kestrel/Maxine/Winston/Pixie (ESP)
Tomatoes – Cederico (Shelleys)
Cherry toms – Sakura and Sungold (DT Brown)
Onions and leeks – bought in plants from top growers
8oz onions – Vento (Medwyns)
Shallot – Hative de Niort (new stock hopefully!)
Celery – Red Star (Medwyns)
Beetroot – Red Ace (Shelley)
Cabbage – Globemaster (Medwyns) Kilaton (DT Brown)
Red Cabbage – Autoro (Shelley)
Runner beans – seed from a secret source!!!
French beans – Declic (DT Brown) & Purple Speckled (own saved seed)
Peas – Cavalier (DT Brown)
Marrow – Blyton Belle (own saved seed direct from Les Stothard breeding line)
Pumpkin – sent off for some from the grower of the recently crowned european record (should be fun!)
Courgette – Ambassador (DT Brown)
Lettuce – Sunny (DT Brown)
Brussels - Abacus (Medwyn)
Caulis – bollocks to caulis!!!

4 comments:

Veg4Show said...

I have a feeling Hative de Niort shallots are going to be pretty hard to get hold of this year. Both my suppliers which I normally order from to bulk up my own stock have non to sell.

There is a guy in the Garden News who sells them aswell as onions, but they are the biggest load of crap I have ever planted after I tested a few last year.

Is Graeme Watson advertising his seed yet? I wouldn't mind trying his selection as Medwyns never seem that good to me. Exhibition seeds reselected long carrot always gets to big for my liking.

I will be growing Blyton Belle this year aswell, will see what the judges think of it.

I still have Cauli's growing in the raised bed in the garden, they were planted for eating but are actually better than anything i showed this year, typical.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Hi Liam,

I'll be getting my shallot bulbs from Dave Thornton the NVS General Secretary (if he remembers...he promised me some last season and forgot! LOL)Always best to get them from a local grower...then you know exactly what you're getting. Medwyn supplies in bulk these days so his quality is bound to suffer despite his protestations.

Graeme Watson sells his seed through a little ad at the back of Garden News.....just send an SAE and £3.50 (I think) for a packet of his seed. If you can't see it let me know and I'll get you his address.

Don't buy Blyton Belle from Medwyns or anywhere else......if you want some I'll post you some seeds from one of my marrows that I grew this season from seed actually given to me by Les Stothard.

Regards
Simon

Veg4Show said...

I don't get on with any national growers lol. I know Graeme Watson sells some, but only to friends I would imagine as good shallots are pretty rare. I have over 100 to plant for next season but most don't keep, but I should be ok.

Suttons do them but you have to ask as they don't advertise them. They are actually a decent size, out of shape but produced some nice bulbs.

Yes i saw the add last year for Graeme Watson's seed, I'll get this weeks Garden News and send for some if he has any left. Mind you I think this may be the same variety that exhibition seeds sell which i found got way to big in my mixture. Yes I'm lazy and should change the mix to suit I suppose.

You know the guy advertising onion seed in Garden News, ever heard of him? is that legit? or some crappy seed.. No name attached to advert don't help. Will get some of John Soulsby leeks as I know he grows some great leeks in his 500 mile tunnel. Does Christmas tree's, or at least he did last time I heard.

Yes i will take some seed off your hands of Blyton Belle. Let me know how much etc and we can sort it out, email me or something, thanx.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Just email me your address Liam and I'll make sure you get some marrow seed.

Simon