Search This Blog

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Collection classes






As I’ve said before shows need to be imaginative when they produce their schedules, particularly the smaller shows and especially when it comes to the collection classes. Unless they’re going to offer big prize money it’s doubtful people will enter the collection that call for 6 ‘dishes’ of 3 or 5 specimens. Collections of this size are fine at large NVS shows and the like but are quite inappropriate at village shows. Sturton has a good idea by making it 6 single vegetables and I managed to get 1st and 2nd this year. Most growers will probably have one good specimen of each type and the class is useful for showing off all those good veg that are too large to match up with other specimens.

As you can see I put in two entries that were quite different to each other but I still put in 12 quality vegetables. I had one superb runner bean that I couldn’t match up in a set of 6 and one good shaped marrow that I didn’t have a partner for in the marrow class. At NVS shows growers will have large display boards draped in black cloth to enhance their veg but at most small village I like to keep things simple by just having the veg arranged attractively straight onto the show bench.

No comments: