Search This Blog

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Gardener's World


Let's face it.....since Geoff Hamilton's sad death this programme has been going downhill. Alan Titchmarsh was great but the feel of the programme wasn't right....too glitzy with too much reliance of trendy camera angles. And although Rachel de Thame was very good to look at she wasn't a proper gardener was she? I know someone who was interviewed by her once about roses and apparently she didn't have a clue what she was on about.


Monty Don's tenure was a total disaster. His total non-acceptance of anything other than organic gardening was a mistake and nothing was explained properly. The show flitted from subject to subject to try and cram as much in as possible. And quite why Carol Klein got as much air time as she did bewilders me. All she ever did was pack Berryfields with cottage garden plants. Blindin!


So I wasn't very hopeful when it was announced that Toby Buckland was to be the new presenter after Poncy Don quit. However, after catching a couple of episodes recently I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. He puts forward the case for chemicals where absolutely necessary and does appear to be very knowledgeable about plants, and edible crops in particular. If you've not bothered watching it recently then I do recommend that you give it a go although be warned.....that Klein bird still has the odd slot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped watching it after that new young bint was introduced.
The posh one who wears glasses like Ronnie Barker in drag.
She just irritated me so much when every single sentence she uttered had the words "Really really" in it.
And Calvin Klein,as I like to call her, is so irritatingly overly-enthusiastic about everything I thought she was going to have an organism when she harvested a pumpkin once.
Oh and that other posh one with her tramp chic and wellie look does my head in too.
Don't get me started on Joe (my dad was in Keeping up appearances) Swift's allotment fiasco too.
Don't use roundup on couch grass,just dig it in.....Yea right Joe !!
Oh well if they've got some new blood who seems to know a bit I might start to watch it again.
Dan.
(Gardeners World publicity liaison officer !!)

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Blimey....who pissed on your cornflakes this morning? LOL