Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Malvern 2012 Part 3

I was really disappointed with the long carrot class at Malvern and wished I'd not put all my good ones in at the National Carrot Championships at Harrogate as I feel I'd have been in the tickets. When I visited the 2007 National at Malvern Graeme Watson's winning long carrots were breath-taking, certainly the best I've ever seen, and there were several other great sets there that day. (Whatever happened to Graeme Watson?)




This year Bob Oliver took the honours with this winning set.



I don't know Bob personally but in my humble opinion this set wouldn't have got a look in previous years, although there weren't any outstanding sets so I don't think the judge had a great deal to work with. These were quite small and a bit rough-skinned but it just goes to show you have to be in it to win it. The stump carrots on the other hand must have given the judge a nightmare as there were well over 30 entries on the benches. Medwyn made reference to this at the prize giving that many of the entries out of the tickets would have won in other years, there really were lots of crackingly good sets. I put a set in last year that was unlucky not to get a ticket and if anything I put a set in this year that was even better but I didn't stand a chance. A first time National Champion was George Graham on his 67th birthday and he was rightly chuffed as punch. As you can see Medwyn is still a menace to bathroom scales everywhere!


Poor old Mr Stocks....he couldn't repeat last year's triumph and got another 2nd.



On the Malvern side of the tent Mark Perry who supports Liverscum but isn't a bad lad considering won with these nice Sweet Candles. Sorry mate.....the photo quality on these is shite.



I actually benched a set of Dorian peas on the Malvern side in the any other veg class. I didn't take a photo unfortunately as they were a magnificent set and didn't deserve to be thrown across the marquee by Mr Stocks at the end. Just to prove that I talk complete bollocks about peas when I say no-one this far south can grow Show Perfection this late in the year, the winning set came from my pal Mark Roberts who is another 30 or so miles south of me.



Mark had an excellent championships, coming second to John Branham in the large collection, 2nd in the celery and winning the 3x2 collection class. I keep threatening to go and visit his set-up and I really must make time to do it before too long. I'm told it's very impressive.



I was pretty chuffed with my set of 3 although it only come equal 17th out of 22 entries!



Sherie Plumb has dominated pickling shallots for years but was beaten this year by another lady Clare Walters. At prizegiving Dave Thornton couldn't read his own writing and announced her as Clark Walters. Prick.



John Jones from Wales won the large onion class as well as the long beet class for the second year running.

I was hoping to bench a set of long beet but after pulling the first couple on Thursday morning I soon realised they were an utter pile of shite, the huge tops not translating into impressive roots. I snapped the fuckers at 2 and a half foot anyway. I shall not be wasting any more time growing long beet in the future, using the drums for more long carrots instead. I can only admire someone who can extract roots like this.



We had a lot of fun on the Saturday afternoon as several of us met up with our fruit cakes and vegetable animals. Leesa was adjudged to have the best fruit cake which is the first time she's ever beaten me. This was only because I made a mistake with the recipe and published one that I'd never baked with before. We decided to allow all exhibitors to stand around Fiona Shenfield while she judged the class, baying and hollering as she did so. I believe we may have hit onto something and all veg shows should be judged in this gladiatorial manner also!




Mo Robinson won the veggie animal class with a cat fashioned from a red onion.....


.....although Frank Taylor's spud spider was a triumph of engineering as he was heard drilling the holes in the spud for the spider's legs in the hotel bathroom that morning. Ian Stocks' shitting sheep got second but really should have been NAS'd as the class was for a vegetable ANIMAL (Singular!!)



My own marrow and onion snail was controversially unplaced although dressed in that garb it was the least of my fucking worries!

17 comments:

Leesa said...

You just can't bring yourself to congratulate me can you? This is only the second time we have both competed in a fruit cake competition so game on! LOSER!! ;)

the grandfather said...

lololol, and that is only on day three after the competition. Only another 362 days of being reminded who won:) Well done Leesa, I think we are going to love this.

the grandfather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Don't think mine were too bad mate
Hadn't seen that much better through many of the other Branch Nationals this year
Both sets are the best I have ever grown

Ian S said...

Have to agree with Smithy - not any really good sets- including mines which were absolute crap- but fair credit and well done to tthe winner who produced the best on the day.Darren take a look at the Scottish on the forum.If they had been reproduced at Malvern my view is they would have produced the first 3 places- but lifes not like that and they werent there and there is always more to a show than winning

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Yours was quite a clean set Darren but you lost a bit on uniformity. I think the root outside left was quite a bit smaller than the other 4.

I just feel it's the poorest long carrot class i've seen at a big show for many years. All the stranger as the stumps and parsnips were so strong. I even feel I could have got in the tickets and I'd have been a million miles away in previous years.....a dangerous thing to think as i'm sure things will be back to normal next year!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a set of 5 before and will admit getting 5 is very hard
My tops let me down as one had a very different top to the rest
I was pleased with size and cleanliness and was over the moon with the 4th
At the end of the day, you got to be in it to win it and you can onl judge what's on the bench
The weather obviously had a major part to play it the standard this year in a lot of veg

Anonymous said...

As Ian S said, you needed to be at the Scottish Branch this year to see what quality carrots looked like! So good I didnt even consider putting mine on the bench!

Dan said...

I noticed all major winning stump carrots this year were really stocky and shorter...no puns intended.
A lot of folks have been saying that the sweet candles seemed to have been getting longer over the last few years from the main seed suppliers even though they're growing them thesame way as ever.
Is there any re-selected "stumpier shorter" sweet candle seed out there or am I just not growing it incorrectly to only get a stump end forming at about 10" in length ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

As an F1 I don't think you want to be reselecting Sweet Candle. Some growers do seem able to grow them very large and quite long. I personally feel SC looks 'right' at about 10".

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

......and not to take anything away from anyone....winning any ticket at a National Championships is a mega-achievement!

Paul said...

Thank you for your usual quality blog and an in depth report of the Nationals.
I was going to say more but respect you and your blog to much to do so

Helen V said...

Why is there no mention on here of the superb trug that Leesa put together?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I WAS getting to that!

Bloody hell you women stick together! I grew the veg tha'knows!

Leesa said...

Thank you for the reminder Helen. Notice how there isn't a picture of my winning cake either?!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ian Stocks' sheep were called Dolly, therefore they could be classed as one sheep!!