Search This Blog

Monday, October 01, 2012

Malvern 2012 part 2

At Saturday's AGM the NVS voted against any change in the quantities called for in classes such as long carrots, parsnips and blanch leeks. In fact the motion was soundly thrashed with only 11 of us voting for change. There had been some powerful lobbying going on behind closed doors so the status quo rules the roost for now. When I put my hand up to support the motion it looked as if I was asking where the toilet was. When there was a show of hands in opposition to the motion the gust of wind blew Gareth Cameron's wig out of the window. Whilst I believe it is a mistake we have to take it on the chin and move on.


Because I didn't do much showing this year I was able to actually get a set of 5 parsnips on the bench, something I've always dreamed of doing. This will now probably not happen again for a long time as I go back to supporting my local shows with entries as I just won't be able to spare 5 for one class. But I managed it, and I was happy with how they looked despite a tiny spot of carrot fly damage on a couple of them. Mine are on the left of this shot, those on the right being the 2nd placed set of Ian Stocks.



At every show an exhibitor unveils a dish of veg that stops everyone in right their tracks and when I saw Ian's parsnips being unveiled on Friday evening I stuck my neck out and said 'best in show'. They were huge roots and absolutely pristine white, and I wanted them to be mine so much that my bollocks throbbed, so it was with a huge amount of surprise that I came back after judging to find he'd only been awarded 2nd place behind Andrew Jones. Andrew's set were a superb exhibit but I didn't feel they were a patch on Ian's, as they were a bit rough and knobbly in places. Apparently Ian lost out because his shoulders were square-ish in profile when compared to Andrew's which admittedly were very uniformly round when viewed end on. This was really harsh, and in my opinion the point or two that Ian might have lost on shape and form can't have been enough to negate the incredible quality and condition. But that's life and we have to live with a judge's decision. Ian later later threw his dolly out of the pram when his vegetable animal was also adjudged 2nd to Mo Robinson's red onion cat.....named 'Simon the big pussy'. Another Northern comedienne who is well and truly in my sights from now on!


I also staged a set of 3 celery (centre) which when compared to those of Ray Sale (left) and Jim Pearson (right) didn't disgrace themselves either.


You really do learn something at every show and I was disappointed that I had to remove a few split stalks when preparing them Friday morning. Colin Higgs is a good celery grower and he advised that I have to remove them as soon as I see them, and get all round the plant at least once a fortnight. This allows the next layer of stalks to fill out. I planted all my celery against a fence meaning I could only tend them from the '2 o-clock to the 10 o-clock' position. Next year I shall plant them in another raised bed where I can get at them the full 360 degrees.

I must make a special mention of Marcus Powell who won the inaugural marrow class. I felt the NEC had boobed by asking for 3 rather than two, knowing that it takes a lot of room to grow marrows along rods in order to let the fruits hang down, but Marcus managed it with this cracking set of Bush Baby.


I was hoping to get a set of 3 Blyton Belle but as in previous years I found this variety very shy to produce a quantity of good shaped fruits despite growing 5 plants in this way so I have decided to have sex with Marcus if he'll give me some of his prize seed.

Marcus also came a splendid 4th in the runner bean class that was won as usual by Sherie Plumb, her set also being judged the best exhibit in show.



More photos, reports and offers of bodily abuse in return for champion strain seed to follow over the coming days.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi simon what variety are the long parsnips in the photo?

Marcus said...

Hi Simon, i really hate to dissapoint, but you're more than welcome to some of my seed(marrow seed i mean) for free :-)

I actually came 3rd in the Runners mate and 3rd in the French Beans.

Marcus said...

Well done with your cues by the way :-)

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Parsnips are Polar

Sorry Marcus. Well done x3. No bum sex then? Phew!

Marcus said...

My piles are bad enough mate...

Anonymous said...

You seem to have forgotten to mention my first prize?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

My wife won the all important fruit cake comp.....beating me for the first time ever!

Dan said...

Just seen the pic of the winning Pasnips on the Forum.
Looking at the NVS Judging Guide Book it suggests that the evidence of side roots are a major condition fault,and looking at the knobbly bits on the winners set,in my useless opinion that's what is present here.
As you say, given that shape scores 4 points but condition scores 6 I think your buddy was unfortunate.
Very unfortunate....

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Just goes to show that the judges' job is not an exact science. They're under pressure to get it done and mistakes can be made. I know the judge in question is an experienced one and will feel he was justified. But imagine travelling all the way down from Scotland with such a good set and only coming second....in iteself a magnificent achievement as the parsnip class in particular was quality.

Still gutted Marcus doesn't want to sleep with me. Must be my green legs.