Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

In it to win it

Over the years i've left so much veg at home, deeming it not worthy and then come to regret it after judging when I realised it would have been good enough for a ticket. Knowing that Westminster struggles for entries in some classes I entered my pathetic long beet hoping to get a third if there were only three entries. As it was there were only two and I got a first and the ten quid prize money. Ker-ching!

I wasn't going to bother growing long beet next year but I may now try growing some in long pipes. It will be easier to get the whole root out at least. I also won the cylindrical beet class for the second year running. Last year there were a half dozen or more entries but this year? Just me! Eight more quids. Ker-ching!

My point is that some shows are shrinking, others struggling and many positively dying, so just bite the bullet and you never know. And hopefully some growers who didn't enter but who visited for a looksee saw my veg and quietly thought to themselves "I can beat that gobby twat" and will be tempted to have a crack in 2013!

1 comment:

Stevie Wonder said...

And they said I couldn't be a judge !
Your Beet felt amazing.