Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Setton their way

I must admit i'm enjoying the relaxed start to the season. Because i'm taking a break from showing in late August/early September my first show will probably be Harrogate in mid-September, so i'm in no rush whatsoever to get any seeds sown yet. I do have a few Vento on the go but that's it so far.

After slipping whilst emptying my sand barrels last weekend and bringing my not insubstantial weight to bear on a few ribs against the rim of one of the drums, i've taken it slowly this weekend as i'm still walking around like a pregnant duck. So I got several trays of onion set 'Setton' away, a variety I like and which I bought from JBA Potatoes!

Although these are in the cold greenhouse for now I'll watch the nighttime weather forecast and bring them indoors if low temperatures are predicted. Sets have been 'stopped' once in their life already so any check in growth will definitely cause them to bolt to seed during the season.

They are just in 24 cell-trays in multi-purpose compost and a sprinkle of Q4.

1 comment:

ontheplot said...

Hi Simon

I've tried some setton this year. Up here in the "artic circle" there is always decent entries in the class "onions from set" So I've give setton a go, along with Hercules & Stur BC 20.