Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

BBC....thanks, but no thanks.

From time to time I've been approached via this blog by various sections of the media asking if I'd be interested in participating in tv programmes or pieces in books and newspapers. I've always declined as I've never yet seen a tv programme that doesn't make show growers out to be some half-witted species of sub-human origin. Nor have I ever read any well-balanced literature on the subject.

Today, someone purporting to be from the BBC left a message on here asking if I had any interesting stories to tell, and would I be interested in having a chat? I deleted the message immediately. However, I have since discovered that this person of indeterminate gender has posted on every blog going. After one of you contacted him/her it appears they're only interested in tales of shock and intrigue, sabotage and fisticuffs. In other words nothing of a positive nature whatsoever, and this so-called documentary, docusoap, true-life story or whatever they end up calling it will show some shaven-headed, pot-bellied, tattooed-to-buggery, monosyllabic, north-eastern leek grower with a garden full of pot leeks being guarded by a couple of rottweilers because "las yaer bevore t'show, al may leeks git slit like. Its was hort brekkin man".

When they say they want to make a positive film about the health benefits of growing veg for show, the friendships we make, the rivalry with cameraderie, the charity work a lot of us do, the bringing together of communities....then I might be interested in talking to them. Until then...go fuck yourselves.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering if he contacted you Simon. He left a message on my blog too !

Anonymous said...

I think we all got a message left
Thanks for the warning

Big man said...

What's this "One of you"
It was me, your doppleganger who found out what it was all about.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Alright.....it was Dan!

Anonymous said...

bit of a sweeping statement that like, we dinnat all hev rotties some ov wer hev them swedish fighting dogs Ikeas man, an all me tatts are spelt right man just ask wor lass