Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Abacus adds up

This year i've grown my best ever sprouts, the variety 'Abacus', even managing to win at Derby with them in late October.

They hold firm on the stalks and I was able to harvest a large bowl on Christmas morning, still leaving plenty for several more Winter roasts to come. They also turned out to be the tastiest sprouts i've ever had.

I planted them in firmed soil back in April, having given the ground a nitrogen top dressing a couple of weeks before. The plants were regularly tied to a cane and given 3 or 4 sprays with Decis during the season. I never had any problems with caterpillars as a result. I'll certainly be growing Abacus again this season. Now we've gone past the shortest day I can quite happily say that we are into 'this season'.

No comments: