Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Let there be light

Now that the clocks have gone forward an hour we can really get cracked on with things. An extra hour's daylight means you can do something most evenings now rather than having to wait for the weekends. I finished the last of my parsnip drums today and am now waiting for the parsnip seeds to chit so that they can be placed in the stations. I'm checking the seeds every few hours as once they start to chit they need putting into the compost quickly before the roots get too long. I like them to be only a millimetre or two long.

For my borehole mix for parsnips I went back to calcified seaweed but found the granules to be a lot bigger than they used to be. They are as hard as ball bearings and no way they would go through a sieve, so I needed a way of reducing them to a fine powder. I started by hitting them with a hammer but after several pinged up my nostrils, some half-blinded me and others rattled my tonsils I realised I needed a better method.
















I came up with this idea of putting the granules inside a fine mesh bag that some onion sets had come in. I could then spread them out inside the bag onto the metal lid of a biscuit tin and bash them with a hammer. The granules broke up into fine dust that fell through the bag into the lid, and it only took a minute or two to do each 3oz mix.
















I also managed to get two drums set up ready for some long beet, the two blue barrels in the centre of the photo. Set upon a wooden framework to give me extra depth I filled them with a mix of old potato peat, compost and sand. The boreholes will be done early May. The black metal drum on the path is one of two that I've cut the tops off with a jigsaw and is upside down to allow the lubricant residue inside to drain away. I will then cut the bottoms out too and make sure the sides are thoroughly cleaned before filling with more compost and sand, setting them onto the prepared bed at the bottom of the shot. I hope to be able to grow about 30 long beet in these four drums.


6 comments:

Dan said...

Stop fannying around with a bloody hammer !
Argos Cookworks Blender.
£12 ..3lb of even rougher Calcified Seaweed than yours 10 minutes.
Job done !!
You need to almost fill the blender half full up then gravity forces the big bits down to the blade as the fine dust rises up,I tried it as a last resort after suffering the same thing.
I tried adding tiny amounts at a time but it just don't work.
You need to fill 'er reet up t't buffers.
Not something that Mrs S will have experienced but it works when grinding the old calcified.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

LOL, I was just going to suggest going down the 'blender' route myself Dan, but you beat me to it :)

Anonymous said...

I used a coffee grinder but burnt one out in the first morning
Also they take forever as you can only do small quantities at a time to prevent this from happening again
At least with the hammer method, you can get through it quicker, I like it
Very interested in seeing how you do you long beets
Something I wouldn't trying next year

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I really don't think the blender will get things fine enough. I really want 'dust' which I can easily get with a minute or two of hammering. This needs to go through a flour sieve to remove any lumps that may scorch the parsnip's skin.

Richard W. said...

Hammer worked for me when I did my parsnip and carrot mixes.

geordey said...

my carrot mix is easy fish blood and bone to a bag of compost