Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

All hail, Medwyn!

Great news show folk! I had a missed call this morning from a number I didn't recognise. When I listened to the voicemail it was none other than Medwyn asking me to give him a call. My first reaction was to wonder who's been moaning about me now, but when I phoned back it was to do with my lack of success at getting Vento to germinate. He said that i'm not the only one who's been having problems with it. The hard coating the seed is supplied in is for farmers who need their seed to mass-germinate in the field at a time when soil conditions are correct for them and the coating holds them back until the time is right, but as a result it's no good for the show grower who needs to get an early start indoors. I know a few haven't had any problems with their Vento, and I did manage to get a dozen germinated after I'd broken the seed casing with a hammer, so like most things it's a case of learning how to grow things for the best. However, from next season he's insisting from his suppliers that none of his onion seed is to be supplied with the seed casing so that's good news for incompetents like me! It's nice to know there are suppliers out there who listen to their customers unlike some I can mention!
I had a nice little chat with him and he's only doing big displays at Tatton Park and Malvern this season. He's having a break from Chelsea but may return in 2013, because in the meantime he's writing a book about his life. I wonder if there'll be a chapter on me? He's never beaten me you know!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good news we may have more sucess next year.It is nice to know that our comments are being listened to and action is being taken.At least he sends you the seeds you order and not substitutes !!!!!

Marcus said...

With regards to Exhibition Seeds i ordered some Gladiator parsnips this year and set them to chit the usual way over 3 weeks ago. As of today just 2 seeds have chitted. Old seed me thinks :-( Ordered some more from Medwyn monday.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Medwyns and Shelley Seeds are the best.....never had many issues with their seeds in the past.

rayden said...

we have no complaint with medwyns seed, people moan about the cost and then you see them moaning the seed doesnt germinate, you get what you pay for!! does sound like old seed bodger, and its the time lost isnt it on something that never hurries anyway like parsnips

Anonymous said...

Trouble is you DON'T get what you pay for.I've Never had any probs with Medwyns seed, but the most expensive show seed and plant supplier out there,no names, but we all know who, seems to be the most unreliable of all.

Richard W. said...

Totally agree with 'Anonymous'. Over priced and of average quality. Re-packeted 'Mr Fothergills', at a guess! LOL!!

I wonder if there'll be a chapter on me? He's never beaten me you know!

You're obviously not in the same S&M set.

rayden said...

i think i know who you mean, tried them when we first started showing, soon learnt the error of our ways, changed to medwyns and never looked back.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Not to be confused with my mate Thornton of Exhibition Seed Potatoes (ESP)......!!!

Marcus said...

I agree Rayden, it is time lost and very infuriating. Spoke to Medwyn today and explained the situation. He said he would send my order asap and not to worry too much as he hasn't sown his for the end of August shows yet either. He also gave me a few more tips whilst on the phone. He's a very helpfull man:-) Once again "All Hail, Medwyn"