Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More mackling by moonlight!

Tonight I 'mackled' together these rather spiffing wooden frames which each hold a load of plastic trays. I intend to store my shallots and 8oz onions here once I have graded them into various sets......pickling shallots under 30mm dia(NVS rules), pickling shallots under 25mm dia. (RHS rules), exhibition shallots over 30mm dia, and Tasco and Vento onions once harvested. In past years my onions and shallots and been in a variety of boxes all over the damned place so this should allow me to be an awful lot more organised in the run up to each show.













By moonlight tonight I took some pictures of my first dahlias planted out........














........a rather worrying collapse on one of my Sweet Candle stumps.....obviously some form of virus perhaps introduced by aphids........bugger,tit,knob!














.....and my red cabbage 'Autoro', from one of which I had to pick off a huge green caterpillar and dispose off 'a la size 9'.














These carrots growing in pots will soon need transplanting. Carrots in pots I hear you say! Yes...a variety bred specifically to grow huge so it doesn't matter if it forks.....in fact the more forks the merrier. When I pricked them out I actually cut the tap root in half to encourage forking. I grow 4 plants purely for Sturton which has a class for Heaviest carrot', although having said that I won it last year with one of my show carrots that had just grown oversize.














And in my front garden I have this completely gorgeous peony 'Bowl of Beauty' which is out now and makes you smile when you walk up the garden path after a hard day in the office dealing with complete wankers all day long.

No comments: