Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

A confession

I've been putting this off for some time but I'm bound to be asked sooner or later. You remember that huge onion I was given in order to set it for seed? Well, in less than 9 months I've managed to reduce it from this....


















To this....














Yes I'm afraid it is an ex-onion. Now all I have to do is explain my incompetence to the guy who gave it to me!

Truth is it never really got away in the autumn when I planted it in a large pot in my conservatory. I'm wondering whether it was on the cold side and it had started to rot from day one. Either way it's not an easy thing to do with a bulb of that size so I'll just have to rely on someone else's expertise in the future and get my seed and plants from people who know what they're doing.


However, I'm not the only one suffering from onion heartbreak. Poor old Dan is suffering from botritis on some his biggest bulbs....

http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Giant-exhibition-onion-2009.html

I feel your PAIN Dan! Hang in there!

1 comment:

Dan. said...

I'm going to stick to growing Radishes from now on !!!

20" around in June and then that had to happen,I was right on track for a ten pounder.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

After doing loads of research into the dreaded Grey Mould I did however find the Botanical name of the plant pathogen that causes it.

Botryotinia Fuckeliana.(No joke)

Just about sums it up I'd say.

Dan.