Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Long carrots starting to grow...

.....at last! These have really struggled the past month and I'm beginning to think there's nothing to be gained from an early sowing. In future I think I may as well opt for a late April or even early May sowing date. It won't get me whoppers but it should give me more even growth and more uniformly tapered roots in better condition.

I've also been asked about watering your long carrots. Dave Thornton of the NVS is adamant that the only water his gets once they're growing away well is what falls from the sky. In Medwyn's column in GN this week he advocates keeping the top of the compost moist but I think this only applies to those roots that are growing in polytunnels. He really doesn't explain things particularly well at times.

I do know stump carrots are different and I try and give them a sprinkling of water every few days so that they don't dry out. If they do you can get roots that are 'wasp waisted' part way down the root......i.e. thinner than the bottom and top. But long roots need to be encouraged to go down in search of moisture. Even when the surface is dust dry (not BONE dry!) if you scratch down a few inches you'll be surprised how damp the sand can be.

No comments: