Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2009

I have been struggling to keep up....

....with the rate my parsnips have been sprouting. I got all my 45 stations finished by tea time yesterday and so far have managed to place 2 germinated seeds in 32 of them. I therefore need another 26 germinated seeds in the next 48 hours before I go up to Scotland.

In the end my mix ratio for parsnips was:

10 litres sieved compost
4 litres vermiculite
3 litres sieved sand
8 litres sieved soil
3oz superphosphate
3oz potash
3oz lime
3oz calcified seaweed
1.5oz hoof and horn

This was enough mix to fill about 10-11 stations, so I had to do this mix 5 times in all. A lot of back-aching effort although it has been made easier the last couple of years thanks to my 'Smithyveg patented sieving machine'.

There's a good feeling when you've finished the slog of boring, mixing and filling and you know you've now done the bulk of the hard work and have a good chance of a few red cards come August/September.

However, I know that I have more hard work ahead of me in the next few weeks getting my holes bored and mixes ready for the long carrots (46 no. last weekend in March) and stump rooted carrots (75 no. 2nd weekend in April)

No comments: