Search This Blog

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Vento


Despite my daughter's cat's best attempts at spoiling my red card chances for 2009 I have managed to prick out 2 '24' cell trays of the onion variety Vento.

Despite taking the greatest care to transplant these fragile looking seedlings they will always look as if they're close to death at this point but experience has taught me it won't be long before they perk up as they start to develop more roots and leaves.

This variety is for the 8oz/250g classes (careful.....8oz is actually about 229g) and I saw it on Medwyn's stand at Malvern last year. A fellow grower, Richard Smith from Littleover also grew it last season and rated it highly.

I shall also be growing my usual variety, Tasco, but alas the cat succeeded in completely knackering this tray so I will need to purchase some more!

No comments: