Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Parsnip mix

This is my tried and tested parsnip mix which is based on an old Medwyn mix.

15 litres sieved compost
4 litres vermiculite
3 litres sieved sand
3 litres sieved soil
2oz superphosphate
2oz potash
2oz lime
2oz seaweed
1oz hoof and horn

This does me about 11 'stations' and I need to do this mix about 4 times to do all my parsnip drums and pipes. However, I've always struggled for weight around the shoulder and top foot or so, so I asked a fellow grower off the NVS forum called Ian Stocks (who has shown and won at the highest level and is a thoroughly top chap to boot!) and he suggested I increase the ratio of soil, so I may alter the soil to 8 litres and decrease the compost to 10 litres.

His mix is as follows:

25 litres riddled(5mm mesh) bagged sterilised topsoil
25 litres peat riddled
15 litres silver sand
100 g Chempak Trench fertiliser
60g bonemeal
150g Sulphate of Potash
200g Lime
150g Calcified Seaweed
150g Seaweed meal

He mixes this in a cement mixer.

I guess you can take your pick but I'll stick with mine for now and see how I get on. Besides, I haven't got a local stockist of trench fertiliser!

No comments: