Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I dig that sand!

It felt great to be able to get out into the garden at last on Sunday after the bad weather of recent weeks. I managed to get a stump carrot bed and 5 of my carrot and parsnip drums emptied, sterilised and refilled. By sterilise, I mean drenching the sand during the refilling process at 6-8” intervals with cheap bleach. I have another couple of parsnip drums to do this coming weekend, followed by a long carrot bed, 2 long carrot drums and a large stump carrot bed so there’s plenty to be done yet.

The sand will now be allowed to settle for a couple of weeks before the holes are bored in early March.

I also dug out the top 10” or so of the soil in my raised greenhouse beds where I grow my tomatoes and spread this on my outdoor onion and leek beds for the rains to get at it. You need to replace the greenhouse border soil every couple of years or so or else a build up of salts alters the soil conductivity and means the plants cannot take up nutrients.

No comments: