Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2008

Sweet candle is a success.



As I’ve mentioned in earlier posts this year I was growing the stump carrot Sweet Candle and I must say I’ve been very happy with the results. I won the carrot class at Hathern with them (see above pic....no separate class for stumps there) and the stump class at Leicester.

They didn’t take much cleaning at all and there was no sign of root fly damage. The only thing I would say is that they do need a longer growing season to develop the stump end (sow middle of April maybe) as one or two were still a little ‘pointy’ (I put these in the Top Trays both of which I won over the weekend). Also, they have perhaps grown a little long for my liking…..up to 12”. I think the sand beds should be kept a bit more on the moist side but hey ho…..you live and learn!

3 comments:

Veg4Show said...

Congrats on your first show success, all looks great, well done.

Everyone commented on sweet candle at our show which i managed to beat.

Most people couldn't get them to grow which is why i backed out at the last minute on trying them. Looks like you had yours right, maybe one to try next year.

I read you are considering a poly tunnel, a little tip from me who has 3 of them..They are ovens even with the doors open and fans.

If you can get one with side vents, or do it yourself with timber and enviromesh you wont have any problems. I have never been able to grow leeks or onions in any of my tunnels due to the heat.

I will modify mine this year with straight sides and enviromesh. Rounded sides are a waste of time you lose so much space and I have learnt the hard way on this costing my a fortune.

Veg4Show said...

ps thanx for that tip in your blog on cleaning beetroot *wink* Mine didnt stand a chance but won thanx to you lol.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Thanks for the polytunnel advice……I was certainly intending to construct my own design so I’ll bear your comments in mind.

As for the beetroot………glad I could help. I didn’t have enough vinegar so mine only came 2nd. It certainly does seem to make a difference to the internal colouring.

Regards
Simon