Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

One week to Sutton Bonington


As a member of the committee Sutton Bonington is my main show although not the most important in terms of the opposition I perhaps come up against. As many family members and friends visit the show I feel duty bound to put plenty of good exhibits in, the advantage being that it's not auctioned off afterwards (unless you want to) so you can get your best exhibits back for showing at later shows.
One class that is always well contested is the class for a single veg/flower and fruit and I've won it on 6 previous occasions, including last year with a stump carrot, Jomanda dahlia and a Cox apple (I only have one apple tree in the garden and no other fruit so it's always an apple!) I need to start looking at the dahlias to see which blooms I will be entering and make sure I protect them from earwig damage. In view of my parsnip success I think I'll be using a parsnip as the veg as I only need 2 more for the main class since we reduced it from three a couple of seasons ago.
Other exhibitors go to quite elaborate lengths to display their produce but as I keep saying the judge (if he knows what he's doing!) will only compare veg against veg, flower against flower and the antique dish displaying the grapes has no impact on his final decision.

No comments: