Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2008

Blyton Belle





I have a trophy on my shelf from Sturton that I'm proud to have my name engraved on a few times. This is because it has the name of Les Stothard on about 20 times from the early 1960's!




He's retired from showing now but his stuff was absolutely incredible and he was a real all-rounder showing veg, flowers and fruit to the highest standards. I understand he's been ill so I hope he gets better soon and can make it to Sturton Show in October.


Les bred the marrow 'Blyton Belle' named after where he lives and it's a marrow that is virtually unbeatable when grown well.I managed to win at Hathern with this variety and a trophy that goes with this class.....which is a blessing in disguise as the trophy is actually a very delicate looking glass marrow in a case which always makes you shit bricks when you're travelling back home in the car with it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Blyton Belle Marrow did well in the NVS Harrogate Show and have tried to find a source for seeds without any luck. Can you help?
Regards,
Tony I

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Hi Tony

Medwyns sell seed listed as Blyton Belle but his catalogue picture shows a very pallid looking pair of specimens.

I have seed direct from the man who raised it so if you email me your address I will post you a few.

Regards
Simon