Search This Blog

Friday, June 20, 2008

Parsnip update


So ....my carrots are a disaster but the same cannot be said about my parsnips which are looking good so far. The foliage is fresh and green and there hasn't been any pest or disease problems as yet.


Obviously you don't know for sure if they are any good until the day before the show when you actually pull them but I tend to have very few problems with forked parsnip roots and can usually be confident they are all single, long tap-roots.


They won't now be watered or fed again encouraging the root to go right down to the bottom of the drums searching for moisture. I just check the foliage regularly to make sure I have no aphids present as these can transfer various viruses. Hopefully, I'll have heavy, clean roots to show come August/September time.


No comments: