Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Cabbages and Kings


I've always grown good cabbages but if I'm honest there isn't the same 'kudos' attached to growing them as there is say, onions, leeks, carrots, celery, caulis etc. This year I said I wasn't going to grow so many but I changed my mind at the last moment when it came to composting the last few seedlings....I potted them on instead! (GROOOOOAN!)
Ah well. They're now all planted and growing away strongly with protective green netting around them. I find this stops the pigeons landing and nibbling them in the early days as they don't like to have anything above or around them if they have to make a swift takeoff....usually when I'm running down the garden throwing stones at them! It also filters any strong winds that can catch the large leaves and spin them round causing breakages. The variety in the pic is Globemaster with a couple of plants of Abacus brussel in the foreground.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Hi Simon, I know what you mean about not wanting to compost your left over plants as I'm just the same. Bob.