Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Parsnips all through


Despite the freezing nights in late march and early April all of my parsnips in the drums have successfully popped through the surface of the compost, proving the value of pre-chitting the seed indoors. Some stations have had two come through so in the next week or two I will select the best one and cut the other away at soil level. Your should never pull it out as it may have got tangled up with the one you are leaving and you could end up disturbing that one and stop it from growing straight down.
All my drums have a pane of glass over them so I need to make sure I keep the sand and compost surface moist until the plants are growing away strongly. At the moment the weather is so cold that there is no need to water. When the plants are about 4" high they will be nudging the glass and so the glass will be removed....usually towards the end of May for me. At that point the leaves are quite lush and therefore a perfect meal for greenfly so I'll need to keep an eye out and have the spray gun handy.

No comments: