Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Long carrots sown


This weekend I've managed to sow my long carrots, 24 stations in the raised slab bed that I've grown my parsnips in previously and 10 in two small drums, 5 in each. These are probably a bit too closely spaced for top quality exhibits but needs must for me as I don't have acres of polytunnels. I will be interested to see if changing my parsnips and long carrots around will make any difference. My thinking was that growing the parsnips in less cramped conditions will give the foliage more space to grow and hopefully lend more weight to the roots below. As carrot foliage is more 'willowy' I think they won't mind growing so close together as much....we shall see. In any case I'd prefer my carrots to be better quality and more uniform than in previous years so I've deliberately made the bore holes slightly smaller in diameter. My winning set at Hathern last year (see pic) was probably my best set in terms of uniformity and quality although I did stage bigger carrots during the season.

Each bore hole 'station' has had half a dozen or so seeds sown in a cluster in the middle. When the seedlings are an inch or so high I will cut away all but two and leave them to grow on for another week or so before finally cutting one away to leave the strongest looking seedling. When I cut the surplus I will dust the top of the bore hole with forate to deter carrot fly.

All 35 of my parsnips came through but one has since died off and will need re-sowing soon.

No comments: