Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2008

A miserable weekend......


Due to the rain & cold I've not got as much done this weekend as I would have liked but I have managed to get all my log carrots sown. As well as having 24 stations in the raised slab bed I also have another 22 in 4 drums which should give me plenty to choose from.


As I've really squeezed them in this season I needed to make sure that when I bored each hole I wasn't disturbing the stations around them which is easily done as the sand moves. The way I've combatted that this year is by 'coring out' a plug of sand using a length of plastic drainpipe to a depth of about 2', and then finishing off the hole with the steel bar. This method certainly seems to have helped get me evenly spaced stations and means I don't push the displaced sand towards neighbouring stations.
The photo shows the sequence of coring out the hole with the plastic drainpipe followed by boring out with a stout metal rod. The pink bucket holds about 2 litres of the compost mix and is enough to fill 1 hole.

No comments: