Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Heavy weight carrots




At Sturton Show there is a class for the heaviest carrot so I always like to try and grow a small patch of carrots purely for weight alone. It won't matter how forked or flea bitten they look so long as they are heavy but you do need to grow a variety that has the capacity to grow large and the variety I grow is one called 'Zino'. I sowed some seeds a few weeks ago in a pot in the greenhouse to get off to a head start and this weekend I transplanted them (yes transplanting carrots!) into the soil. But first you need to cut the bottom inch or so off the tap root. This encourages the carrot to fork and the more forked roots you have the more likelihood of getting a good weighty specimen. I also enriched the soil with some superphosphates, potash, seaweed meal, lime and hoof and horn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW your blog is amazing !!!!!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Many thanks for that comment.

But I really think you need to get out more LOL

Regards
Simon

Anonymous said...

?????????? What is that suppose to mean ?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

English humour....obvioulsy loses something in translation so don't worry about it.

Glad you like the blog.

Regards
Simon

Anonymous said...

Giassas Simon,

O.K. by amazing I mean, the content and not the look...You are an incredible gardner, I have never seen vegetables that big...LOL

Have a great WE

Thessa