Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Leeks raring to go


I've got another batch of good looking leeks that will soon be ready for planting. At the moment I'm hardening them off during the day and any mild nights with a view to planting them this week in one of my long, raised wooden beds. I'll plant them a little deeper than usual (say a couple of inches) as this is supposed to help prevent the base bulbing (according to Medwyn).
After planting I'll give them a good watering with Miracle Gro and put a stout cane next to each one that will help support the barrel as it grows. This season I want to keep an even closer eye out for the dreaded leek moth caterpillar as it can soon strip the leaves to a pitiful state. I've tried sprays in the past but I don't think they're too successful and the best method is to try and catch them before they do too much damage. The little bugger's are about 1/2" long and bright green, and tend to hide deep in the 'V' of the fresh unfurling leaf flags coming from the centre of the plant.

No comments: