Search This Blog

Friday, October 05, 2007

Stunning collection


This is Mark Roberts' incredible winning collection from last weekend's National and every single 'dish' was far in excess of anything I've produced before. He was quite rightly very proud of his efforts and stood by his stand all weekend chatting to the public and passing on tips and information. The celery in particular was awesome and would probably have won the individual class.....it was so fresh and clean it looked like it had been scuplted from green ice.



They have a collection for 6 different veg at Sturton and I'll be hoping to win this class for the 2nd year running, but it's on a much smaller scale in as much as you only need one specimen of each of the 6. Therefore, I'll be showing an onion, a leek, a tomato, a carrot, a runner bean and a cucumber. The runner bean will be substituted for a parsnip if I have a decent one spare once I've pulled my remaining 8 pipes this afternoon.



I have cut several dahlias and they are in my special carrying frame which I'll post a picture of in the next few days. I shall be loading the car this evening with this and all my veg and cacti so that all I have to do in the morning is drive off, after having checked the schedule several times to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. 54 miles is a long way to come back if I have! I always find it a relief to get to Sturton safely with everything intact and I then find that I actually enjoy the staging....especially if I know I have some good stuff to display. Several new exhibitors came last year which was good and this year the show has been posted on the NVS website so there may be even more newcomers.



Whatever happens, come 10am tomorrow morning my season will be over and I'll have to start planning for the next.

No comments: