Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2007

A marrow escape

2007 was an awful year for me as far as marrows went. They've always been a strong point for me but I didn't win a single card this year. In fact, I only really managed to grow about 4 or 5 small, weak looking fruits that didn't match up.



The plants didn't like all the rain in July as they just sat in waterlogged soil just after planting time and the foliage suffered from mildew badly.



The variety I grow is one called Blyton Belle raised by Les Stothard, and I've been reselcting my seed from my best fruits for about 4 years now. Obviously having poor fruits this season means I don't really want to harvest seed from this year's crop. I do have several seed left from last year's best fruits which I could easily grow next year as they should remain viable for a year or two yet, but in consideration I think I'll just get some fresh seed.

No comments: