Search This Blog

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Amazing runners

The winning beans at the National really bought home to me how far I have to progress on some veg particularly carrots, parsnips, onions and especially runner beans. The picture doesn't do them full justice as they all about 18" long and looked as if they'd all come out of the same mould. They were so perfect and there wasn't a sign of a bean bulge anywhere. My beans tend to start showing beans at about 12-14" and can be all different shades of green.



I haven't won any classes for beans this season so Sturton will be my last chance. I've already picked a few that have reached 15" and they are in my fridge. They will keep quite happily there for about a week. As I pick more in the next couple of days they will be added to these so that I can make my final selection on Friday night. I will leave them on the table in my kitchen to go a little bit limp then attempt to straighten any that are slightly bent (more on how to do this on a later post). I cut a little piece of stalk off each bean leaving at least 1/4" and then place each bunch of beans into a tall glass with some water at the bottom. The beans will take up some water and stiffen up (hopefully!)



The judge is looking for straight beans 12-18" long (but all your beans should be the same length) that are fresh looking with no beany bulges showing. He will attempt to snap one of your beans (he'll choose what he suspects is the weakes looking) and if it doesn't snap cleanly but is stringy instead he'll downpoint you.

No comments: