Search This Blog

Monday, October 08, 2007

Bloom carrier

























If you're going to 'show' dahlias then you'll need a sturdy and efficient method of transporting them to the show. Dahlia growers employ all manner of ingenious contraptions that work well for them, usually involving specially adapted buckets or milk crates.



Working in the steel trade as I do I've made myself a metal carrier with a handle that fits in the back seat of my car. Plastic bottles with the necks cut off are screwed to wooden battens and act as the water reservoirs. Two more wooden battens act as feet to support the whole structure. Malliable wire encased in soft plastic (you can buy this from most garden centres) is attached to metal rods and used to wrap round the flower stems to keep them upright.



Gone now are the days when I used to drive to a show constantly looking in my rear view mirror to check that my dahlias were surviving the journey. Often I used to arrive with the odd broken stem that meant it was useless for showing. Now the only awkward bit is getting them in and out of the car, but before and after that it's an easy job to cart them around

No comments: