Search This Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pity about the carrots









As I expected my carrots are a long way from my usual standard. The cold spring and warm summer has meant they are very small but at least there is little sign of rootfly.

Today has been very busy indeed so I can't go into too much detail but have quickly uploaded a couple of pics to show the sort of lengths I go to to try and get one up on my fellow competitors.

The first pic shows my beetroot that has been washed and matched up in 3's, and then is stored in a bucket of water overnight. This water has a dash of vinegar and some salt stirred into it as this seems to bring out the colour of the beet. You need to make sure you give them a rinse in the morning....if not the judge will know exactly what you've been up to!

The lower pic shows my tomatoes carefully packed in tissue paper in individual cell trays. (Wendy's gonna have to go some to beat 'em!). If you look closely you will see little blue dots on the tissue paper denoting the best 6. The next best 6 are for a collection and the 6 at the other end are for the Top Tray class. In top corner you will see some 'rejects' that didn't match up for size, colour, shape or just had a few blemishes. My middle daughter Jennifer loves tomatoes so she'll appreciate those. And well done on your exam results this week Jen! xxx (Who says we don't love you cos you're a middle child?)

No comments: