Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Annual Tomato Challenge


Each year for about 5 years one of our oldest friends Wendy has grown a few tomatoes in her greenhouse in order compete against me at our local show. The first year she beat me was quite funny and I was pleased she had done it. The 2nd year she beat me again and that was reasonably humourous despite the incessant mickey taking from her husband Graham. However, the 3rd year and she beat me again......this time it became serious.........and i'm in the market for a home-made car-bomb that will attach discretely to a blue Chrysler PT Cruiser !!!

Last year she chickened out (something about not having time because of building work) but I know she's growing some this year........and this year it's going to be different ! I have lavished so much care, time and attention on this year's tomatoes that if I don't beat her then I'm taking up stamp collecting.

I have adopted a cycle of 3 different feeds from the first flower set and the growth has gone completely berserk, giving me the largest and best looking tomatoes I have ever grown. If anything, some of them are looking a little too big. Usually around now I'm hanging ripe bananas in amongst the trusses to try and get some of the tomatoes to go red (the ethylene gas encourages ripening) but this year has been no problem.......if anything I need them to slow down a bit!

So......unless Wendy resorts to the annual steroid injections (Graham works for a major pharmaceutical giant) then first prize is in the bag!

No comments: