Search This Blog

Sunday, August 06, 2006

And my pumpkin has started to 'motor' at last......


For the first time in a few years, I'm also attempting to grow a decent pumpkin this year after acquiring some seed from one of the boys on the Giant Veg website (http://www.giantveg.co.uk/)

I've allowed one pumpkin to set and I'm measuring it every day to see how it progresses and have something to compare with in other years. Yesterday it was 430mm circumference and today (Sunday 6th) it's 480mm....so at that rate it will be approx. 2metres by showtime!

And yes.....that IS a piece of carpet that the pumpkin is resting on. The plant is growing along a coarse gravel path so if I left it to rest on the path the sharp stone chippings could pierce the skin and allow rot to set in or even give a starting hole for a mouse to burrow in. As the nights get cooler I shall also put a blanket over the fruit (hope my wife doesn't read that bit.....she's feeling neglected as it is!)

No comments: