Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Not the best leeks in the world but not bad......



My leeks are looking reasonable but far from what some of the top boys can produce. I spent the whole of last weekend taking off the 14 inch collars and putting them into 18" ones.......pieces of black damp-proofing rolled around the barrel (see pic).

Whilst I was doing this I took the opportunity to remove any decaying foliage and split flags and to give any slightly bent barrels a bit of tender manipulation to make sure they were as straight as possible. The foliage is supported by a cane framework and another cane in the soil next to the leek helps to keep them growing upright.

Then I gave them a spray of Dithane 945 as they were suffering from a bit of rust. I also removed a few caterpillars of the leek moth. However, to be able to compete on the showbench I really need them to put on a bit of girth in the next 3 or 4 weeks, although some are better than others.

Again, as with my onions I could really do with a polytunnel to grow better quality leeks in....but that's a project for next year I hope.

No comments: