Search This Blog

Friday, August 25, 2006

It's SHOWTIME!


Sorry for not posting for a few days.....had a situation at work that has caused some stress. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to sack someone these days ........even if they're a lazy, lying, incompetent idiot who steals from you! Ah well!

Ok.....first couple of shows this weekend and round 1 of the great tomato challenge with my friend Wendy. 2 weeks ago I had world beating tomatoes....a few of the better ones have started to split but hopefully i'll have more than enough to choose from. I need about 36 in all to cover 6 classes at 2 different shows.....a tall order.

Other things have 'arrived' on time but others just haven't quite made it. My cucumbers need another 3 or 4 days for instance. In a previous post I mentioned how I protected the 'cus' with sheets of polystyrene to prevent the spiky foliage scratching the skins. Above is a pic showing this.

Both shows need to be 'staged' on Sunday morning and they're some 20 miles apart so a lot of rushing around is involved. For that reason, all of Saturday will be spent washing or preparing the exhibits, checking and rechecking the schedules and loading the car up ready for an early start on Sunday morning. I'll only be able to get the stuff for the first show ( which is at a village about 5 miles away) in the car so once I've staged there it's back home to reload for the other show in Leicester.

On Saturday morning I will 'pull' my carrots and parsnips. After months of work you finally get to see if they are any good or not, as until that point you just cannot see whether they are any good. They might have 'forked' halfway down making them no good for exhibition purposes.

I'll let you know how things went in the next few days.

No comments: