Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Simon says

Here is a photo of one of my pot grown onions, currently at 19" circumference which should be about 3lbs+.




I thought they seemed to be running out of steam but seeing them daily lulls you into thinking this, and when you actually measure them they are still increasing by an imperceptible 1/8" per day, so I'm going to let them carry on growing until mid-August or perhaps a bit later, settling on a measurement then harvesting them as and when they reach it in order to give me several to hopefully making some matching sets. Every few days I pull off any dried out leaves and the connecting film of brown papery skin that is attached to it to leave a nice green bulb with the attractive vertical lines. I shall certainly be growing them this way next season. I'd never have felt it possible to grow such large bulbs in such relatively small pots if I hadn't seen it and done it for myself.

Over on Dan's allotment diary website (in between incessant northern moans about the weather that apparently only he has been suffering from) he is growing a giant marrow which he has christened 'Simon', because it is 'short, stubby and fat'. Oh how my fucking sides split with laughter when I read that on Facebook! However, I hope it keeps growing as I would like to meet up with my namesake at Harrogate when no doubt Dan will be entering him in the heavy classes. Dan has a long history of entering marrows.



And whilst on the subject of Harrogate this year's BBC (Bullshit Bloggers' Challenge) will be the 3x2 class rather than the 6x1 class that I won quite magnificently last year from Dan and Paul Bastow. We actually came last, second to last and third to last out of 10 entries but no matter, we all had fun and it allowed us to put an entry into a class that normally only the very best enter and we weren't disgraced so if you fancy the craic then why not challenge us this year? £10 entry, winner takes the spoils. To be honest I need the competition as it's like taking candy off those two muppets.


Meanwhile, over at the Olympics you ask those bloody Scots to do one tiny little thing...........

6 comments:

Dan said...

I have never ever entered a Giant Marrow,a slightly warmed bored out pumpkin maybe,although I did once enter a Marathon,but I kept getting peanuts stuck under my foreskin.

Anonymous said...

BBC 3x2 class rules:
All veg must have been grown FROM SEED by the exhibitor.
No 4-5 month grown on leek or onion plants allowed.
You're Fucked !!

Ken said...

They look great!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Anonymous......no such rule......fuck off!

ontheplot said...

One thing for sure Simon. If we are going to do it. We really did a right job in Glasgow.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Stocksy's in Russia as I write. By mid-August the whole of the communist bloc could be marching on us!