Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Land of the Giants 2012

I took a night off from the plot last night and decided to take my wife for a night out instead. The best advice I can give to any man is that it's only fair you give your better halves some attention from time to time and I think Leesa certainly appreciates being first in my thoughts now and again.


So we went over to the village of Halam near Newark to visit giant veg man Peter Glazebrook's garden, along with several other NVS members from the North East Derby District Association!

I visited Peter's last year at this time of year and I would say his onions were on a par with then. Of course he went on to smash the World record, but Peter reckons they're actually slightly behind this season, unsurprising given the poor weather we've had recently, with low natural light levels. Even so they'll be there or thereabouts come Harrogate and I took this photo of Leesa in front of Peter's onion house to prove that I did indeed take her out for a treat.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the look on my face speaks volumes! And I know I'm tall but take offence at being likened to a giant!

corny said...

Thanks for the tour of your garden Simon...... Your Onions arn't far behind those!!!!