Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

48mm

After getting back from Blackpool tonight I decided to start harvesting the large shallots having assessed the position of the larger bulbs in the bed. A couple were at 48mm, with many bubbling behind around the 45mm mark, so I grasped the nettle and decided to start the process, harvesting the two biggest and aiming to get the rest up as soon as they reach size over the next few days. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up about 53-55mm after drying out, as the large healthy tops die back into the bulb. Any flat sides will also round up.

I was also pleased to harvest another 7 picklers at 27mm, with another dozen or so not far behind. Hopefully I won't lose any to botrytis this year, having dipped them in Rovral powder before planting.

I started the day by inspecting the steelwork at the top of Blackpool Tower and ended it with the first harvest for the coming show season. My shallots looked in better condition I have to say!

4 comments:

Dan said...

Pulled mine tonight,only managed 40mm though.
Then I harvested my shallots.....
It'll do for my local show that seems to be stuck in the 18th century with the large shallots being over 1.5" class.
I just can't grow 'em big for a toffee !!

Unknown said...

Had a couple go double so will be getting mine up this week only managed 55mm though.
Pretty dissapointing

corny said...

I'm using my shallots to build my stock.....
Should I pull them yet?
(Native de hort)

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Personally I would get them up asap as I don't like replanting misshapen bulbs.