Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My grandad is a genius!

On the day after the Midlands went into official drought mode, the heavens opened and the path alongside my long carrots is now under 3" of H2O! Perhaps Severn Trent might rethink the situation seeing as the rain is set to stay beyond the weekend? Just a suggestion!

Seeing as outdoor work is at a standstill I thought I may as well pot on my tomatoes 'Cedrico' and 'Sungold'. Fairplay to Shelley Seeds, they advised 14 seeds on the packet, but 15 seedlings came up! I make that a 107% germination rate. Beat that!

I planted into 3" square pots in M3, burying the plants up to the seed leaves, as new roots will sprout from the stem below them, making for stronger plants. These have gone straight to my greenhouse for now. One advantage of biblical weather is that the night time temperatures tend to be ok. It's when the skies are clear that you will get trouble, and I shall certainly learn from last year's cock-up and bring them indoors if anything close to 2 or 3 degrees overnight is forecast. These won't get planted out into permanent positions until the end of May. Oscar seems happy that I won't make the same mistake twice!

6 comments:

Winston said...

Do you grow any tomatoes that are actually edible ?
I heard that Cedrico are absolutely rank to eat.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I'd have to take issue with that. I don't eat tomatoes personally but my father-in-law reckons they taste like tomatoes used to taste!

the grandfather said...

The wee man is looking very happy indeed. :) Cedrico eats as well as any other home grown tomato and certainly miles better than the rubbish sold in the supermarkets.

Richard W. said...

I'll also confirm that Cedrico are an excellent salad tomato. I sent 6 to my local show last year, the rest were eaten. Super tasting!

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

My father-in-law also loved Gold Star when I used to grow that.....generally accepted as an awful tasting tomato. I think when they're home grown and ripened properly the taste improves.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Cedrico taste wonderful, far better than the old Moneymaker and Alicante type varieties.