Search This Blog

Sunday, April 08, 2012

The eye of a needle!

The best laid plans and all that! Oscar had a tummy bug earlier in the week that caused him to re-enact a certain scene from the Exorcist, as well as producing several nappies that would have caused a Geiger counter to melt. He duly passed this bug onto the rest of us meaning that instead of devoting today to getting my parsnip holes bored, I had to make several dashes to the thunderbox for a liquified arse yodel!

I now hope to get my parsnips done tomorrow, as time is running out since I would ideally like to get my long carrots done next weekend. However, one task I did complete was to plant my shallots out. They have benefitted from being potted up into deep 4" pots from the off as they did have really good root systems. Whilst most plants did get a dose of white tip on close inspection i'm happy that I managed to control it before it got too bad, as there was plenty of strong foliage that was disease free. Hopefully I will not have such a bad season with botrytis having dipped the bases in dry Rovral powder before planting and I shall also spray with a Rovral solution a few weeks before harvest. I have 45 planted out which could give me up to 160 bulbs to choose from at harvest time.


3 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

I gave up on Shallots this season, the time I spent the last two years only for most of them to go double just wasn't worth it. Decided to focus my efforts elsewhere and try a couple of new veg instead, i.e. peas and broad beans. Worth a try, and I am also trying a red potato I haven't grown before called 'Vanessa', as well as my Kestrel, Winston and Blue Belle. Variety is the spice of life :)

mistyhorizon2003 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

more excuses