Search This Blog

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Final onion potting

I only managed to get a day in the garden this weekend so I decided to leave the parsnip boring another weekend and get my onions potted up. Because my old tosser of a dad disgustingly decided not to give me his greenhouse it means I shall have to grow them in large pots to harvest.

After advice from Dave T I microwaved a load of soil from my garden in order to kill off any white rot spores. It was a bit hit and miss to start with but I eventually settled on 8 and a half minutes at max power, simply because that's how long it took to kill a centipede!

I mixed 3 parts M3 and two parts cooked soil with some Q4 a couple of inches below the root ball. I also put some potash in the bottom layer of mix with a view to aiding ripening later in the season.

All in all it was a bit of a rush and my apologies to the plant supplier Helen, but i've now decided I won't be bothering trying to get a collection up at Malvern, therefore I shall just grow them to the best of my capabilities under the circumstances.

And I won't name all of you who have fallen for the April Fool's joke of the last post.....or will I?

7 comments:

Frostie said...

Go on - name the idiots- I was going to ask you for your good peas

Anonymous said...

Your the April Fool, As you suppose to do it before 12 noon, not at 4-37pm

Bertie big bollocks said...

OK,April Fool joke now over,are you trying to grow living onion rings ?

the grandfather said...

I'm an idiot but only after mid-day so that doesn't count does it.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

The 12 o'clock thing was introduced by idiots looking to excuse their gullibility!

the grandfather said...

koffsplutterbollox

Dan said...

Your White Lisbon look about ready to eat.
Nice.