Search This Blog

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Stretching summer

With apologies to my Scottish friends who have had several days of rain, it seems really weird preparing veg for an October show in shorts, flip-flops and a t-shirt! It has allowed me to spend the whole day pulling and matching up my tap roots, and cleaning leek roots with a hosepipe and not have to worry about getting hypothermia.

I've been very happy with my leeks this season considering the minimal amount of attention I have lavished upon them. I've had to overstrip a couple due to 4 or 5 split flags which I think is down to a lack of water during the last few months. Still if I can grow them this well through neglect i'm really looking forward to next year when I intend to devote far more time to their culture.

And i've managed to get a pair of long beet for the collection of tap roots at Westminster. They're really far too big to contend but it's shown me that I can grow them and it's another crop I shall be hoping to improve upon next season. A later sowing should give me more refined, tapering roots for Malvern.

1 comment:

rayden said...

nice clean leeks Simon, are your long beet grown in barrels or pipes? think i am going to try them again next year, havent grown them for years after a disaster with some in pipes!! have got some more barrels for next season so will give them a try, can only hope they turn out a bit better!!!