Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

♫Who's gonna ride your wild horses......♫

The 'wild horses' refers to my good lady when she came home the other night to see me using her best saucepan to boil up my mare's tail brew mildew treatment for my quickly faltering peas. How was I to know? One saucepan looks much like another to me! Anyway, surely a bit of stewed weed is no different to boiled carrots, mashed potatoes etc?





















Moving on, just in case it turns out that I may have erred in declaring that I was going to become National pea champion (we shall have to see but my plants seem to have taken on a pallour that suggests I may be struggling to get a set of peas good enough to be benched alongside the best in the Isle) I have decided today that I will instead win with french beans which are altogether much less fussy and easier to grow. For the past 6 weeks I have been sowing 12 seeds per week and then planting up into 12" pots filled with my own sieved compost from the heap. I now have about 15 of these pots planted up and I shall also support the plants with pea sticks and string to keep them upright.




















It means I can bring the pots indoors nearer showday so that none of the beans are likely to get blemished by the weather. I have another tray of beans ready for planting, another tray just germinated and will sow my last tray of 12 this weekend which should more than cover me all the way through to Westminster Show in early October which is now only 10 weeks away.

Here is last years National winning set of french beans at Dundee. Note the outstanding uniformity, straightness, lack of bean bulge and good colour. Perhaps i'd best stick to radishes!


No comments: