Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Carmen controlled

As i'm not a teacher spending my lunchtimes eating lentil biscuits and plotting with my colleagues on how best to fuck up our childrens' futures next, I have to go home each day to make sure my plants are ticking over nicely in this hot weather. At lunchtime today I had to do a quick repair job on my cucumber plants which are now about 18" tall and had flopped over in the pots on their raised growing platform. I'd been putting off the job of making something to tie them to along the greenhouse eaves as there are just so many multitudinous little jobs that need doing at the moment, mainly watering. Some thin wire was hastily stretched across the greenhouse tied to some holes in the aliminium at each end and the plants will be tied to this at regular intervals, not too tightly so that they are effectively being suspended by loops of soft string. As my greenhouse is only 8' long i'm hoping to be able to return the plants so that they come back along their neighbour's wire up the other way, giving me double the amount of stem length and therefore more fruits to choose from. It'll be fiddly but hopefully worth the hassle.






























Plants of that size will require a lot of water and at the moment i'm giving them a high nitrogen feed so that I get strong lush plants very quickly. Any tiny fruits developing in these first few feet of main stem are being pinched out and discarded, a little tip I picked up from Charlie Maisey. I've always been pretty unbeatable in village shows with cucumbers so I'm hoping to be able to get a set of 3 at Llangollen to compare against the current masters such as Trevor Last, Sherie Plumb and Graham Watson. I cannot afford any scratches on the skins so the fruits will be hanging down below the foliage, meaning I shall have to walk into my greenhouse very carefully to avoid a headbanging. Also, they should be straighter by growing them this way. Ideally you need to transport the fruits to the shows with the dried up flower still attached to the end, although in the past I have successfully superglued these back on! This is Grahan Watson's winning entry from the 2007 National at Malvern. Truly perfick!















Another top Maisey tip is to give the cu's a spray with icy water on the show bench just before the judges enter, to give them that fresh, crisp, 'just-picked' look. So that's something else I shall have to remember to take with me to Wales, along with my passport and sheep-worrying exemption certificate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, just a couple of quick questions,
if i have a ferret around in my spud bags and feel they are just about there should i cut the tops off, and how long will they be ok in the bags,
how much top would you leave on your vento onions to store,
should i store large onions in the same manner as small,
do you know of any websites other than the nvs which list shows, i am struggling to find many on the south side of birmingham (i am solihull)
many thanks for your help
rob hawkes (teacher)

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Well bugger me backwards, a teacher with a sense of humour! LOL

If you think your spuds are at size then you can do a few things. Sacrifice a bag to see what the yield is like. This is ok if you're growing dozens but not if you only have a few. How long have they been in? I reckon Casablanca need 12 weeks. Winston used to be at size for me in 10. Kestrel 12-14 weeks.

If you're satisified then you need to stop watering. The haulms will then start to die back naturally and go limp and yellow. If you are forecast a deluge of rain then cover the bags with polythene. By stopping watering you are encouraging the lenticels on the spuds to shut down and hopefully you won't get the black dots on them even after washing which are bits of compost stuck in the pores. In a week or so cut the haulms off to a few inches. Do not empty the bags out for a least a week so that the skins can set hard and won't rub off during washing.

I leave about 3" on my 250g onions. Large onions can be stored in the same way as small. How do you do yours now?

The NVS website has the most comprehensive list of shows. Are you a member? If not I will post a question on the forum asking if anyone knows of any shows in your neck of the woods.

Ask as many questions as you like Rob

Simon Smith (arsehole)