Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

That's it, i'm off!

Well that's it. I shall be up at 5am tomorrow morning to plant the last lettuce and a few dahlias and then it's off to sunnier climes (at last it's pissing down here). My chest and back have been shaved to match my head. For the next 2 weeks I shall be flat on my back reading Kitchen Garden and Bill Bryson and not worrying about the Smithyveg plot (yeah right!).





One sad task to do yesterday was to lift and discard these leeks that had gone to seed. I had mixed feelings as I would only ever show these at village level so I took the unscheduled opportunity to sow some more beetroot 'Pablo' and a few turnips in this newly spare land with a view to perhaps showing these at Westminster in October if they grow in time.....some 10 weeks away.





















As you can see I already cram a few crops into this long raised bed. The beet and turnip seeds have been sown down the middle as mentioned, but I'm also growing some french beans down the left and in the short sections of plastic piping are some stump carrots. I hope these will be ready in time for Sturton in October. The variety is 'Favorite' so that I don't have to dip into my Sweet Candle and can save these for Malvern, Westminster and Derby.






















So long folks. I hope you find my Assistant Crop Waterer reasonably interesting in my absence !

3 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

Have a great holiday Simon

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

I've redicovered 3 things whilst in Rhodes.

1) It's still f***ing hot
2) The British still cannot read 'no diving signs'. Twats.
3) Karaoke is still not enjoyable. Anyone who thinks it's a good way to spend a few hours needs a bullet up their nostril.
4) I'm worried about my veg. Heather....how is it going.
5) I can't count.

mistyhorizon2003 said...

"pouts", I do karaoke, admit loads of really sh*t singers have a go, but I know some very good ones, semi-pro and I can modestly say I come from a family where my Mum cut records with Columbia, so I can sing in tune, strongly and get people to stop, listen and applaud, just don't want to do it for a livng as I prefer growing veggies.

gutted right now, one of my St Valery carrots of which I only have 7 planted in an oil drum has bolted, so I had better hope that out of the remaining 6 I have at least 3 that are a near match for the show in August.

Finally lifted the 3 Red Baron Onions that had bolted too. Used them in a Guernsey Bean Jar recipe so they didn't go to waste.

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine and keep that head of yours either covered in a hat or lashings of high protection factor sun tan lotion.

Have fun :)