Search This Blog

Monday, July 05, 2010

Oh dearie me, that's a bit of a shame old chap ***

Last night was a bad one. It was then that I noticed this entire row of blanch leeks had gone to seed. If you look closely you can see the pointy seed heads popping up through the centre of the foliage. I bought them in from a fellow grower in April and have had good plants from this guy before but for some reason they're a complete failure this time around. I know he only has a cold greenhouse with double insulation but I guess the hard winter was just too cold and the check in growth has resulted in the plant doing this.

*** (Not what I actually said!!!)








After a good few weeks I'm starting to have one or two problems. My shallots have now been topped and tailed and are on trays of sawdust ripening, but a lot of them (in the blue trays) have gone out of shape during the drying out process. The ones in the wooden tray are pretty good however and certainly the best I have ever grown.





Yesterday I harvested the spuds growing in the buckets for the early show this coming weekend. I managed to get a reasonable set of 3 Kestrel but was disappointed to find the Winston were pretty scabbed up even having been grown in peat based compost.


The last apple fruitlet fell off my apple tree yesterday after a very poor fruit set. Late Spring frosts caught the blossom and only a few managed to bear fruit but these have all gradually succumbed. A popular class at some shows in my area is one for a single veg, single bloom and single fruit and I've always relied on my Cox (easy!) to give me the fruit for this class. I shall now be relying on a grape vine I planted a couple of years ago and which has a few small bunches like this one in amongst the foliage. Whether they'll be big enough for the September shows is doubtful as October is a more likely date for outdoor vines in Britain.


And finally, the bloke who lives 2 doors up from me has sold up and left which is good because he was a jumped up little knobhead who put stupid little officious tickets on people's cars if they parked slightly in front of his house. Tonight, before he left for his new abode he lit a bonfire in his fox infested overgrown back garden at 7pm and promptly buggered off leaving the smoke to annoy everyone.



Unfortunately, the fire got out of hand and spread two gardens up (away from us luckily otherwise the little twat would be dead) and this was the scene outside our house as the fire brigade attended the scene. Thick git.








5 comments:

mistyhorizon2003 said...

OMG, you sound like you have just got rid of the neighbour from hell, but just as well. Bad luck on your leeks, I still have mine in modules, doomed to die as I never got around to planting them on. They look healthy, about 6 inches tall, only about 4mm thick, but what can I possibly do with them at this time of year other than take pity on them and feed them, water them and possibly put them in the ground later on knowing they have not even remotely been given the correct conditions at the right times?

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

You can still plant them but do it NOW! LOL

Dibble quite a deep hole say 6-8" deep with a stick about 1-2" diameter.

Cut the roots of the leek to an inch or so long. Cut the foliage back to a couple of inches past the button (the bit near the top where the new leaves are emerging. Then drop these little leeks into the holes and water in. Some may well drop all the way into the hole but don't worry. Then just leave them to it. You should have reasonable leeks to pick come November time.

Unknown said...

Things are not exactly going to plan here most of my giant onions are growing double necks don't know why. The Giant Red onions all seem to be doing ok and they are in the same bed and are nearly the same size 15" round also some Cabbages are going to seed instad of hearting up. Well done on the article I may even buy a copy tomorrow not bad for a Yorkshireman How Much !!!!
have a good Holiday I think it is a bit inconsiderate to leave all your followers to fend for themselves at this crucial time though. any ideas on the Onions

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Paul,

It can only be a stress related thing. Probably extremes of temperature in the Spring. I have always advocated growing onions as hard as you can but you do need a minimum temp of 7-8 degrees during the Winter even then. If they got frosted at any point you can bet your bottom dollar you're paying for it now.

As for the holiday I've discussed something tonight to make my absence a little more bearable for my followers, fans, stalkers and assassins....more on this in the next few days.

Unknown said...

thanks for the reply the heater failed in March and we had frost that night ( sods law ) i will have to be more carefull next year
Paul