Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Top tips from a top bloke

I spent a very pleasant couple of hours tonight amongst like minded saddos at a talk given by NVS National Secretary Dave Thornton during which I copiously noted many cultural tips which I shall be divulging to all and sundry during the next few weeks. One point that did strike a cord is how Dave (and it follows most of us show growers if you think about it) do not actually practice crop rotation. We tend to grow our onions and leeks in polytunnels on the same patch of ground year in, year out. Similarly with tomatoes in the greenhouse border soil, runner beans on the same bean trench, celery in the same raised celery bed and so on. Dave felt that plants can develop a sort of symbiotic relationship with the soil if you give them the right conditions for that type of plant. You only need to rotate if you are forced to because of soil diseases.

Whilst I was there I also 'took delivery' of some runner bean seeds of the variety 'Blyton Sabre' which I grew last year and was without doubt the best bean I have ever grown. If I hadn't got swine flu at a critical time last year I feel sure I could have exhibited my best ever beans but by the time I recovered, bravely fighting my way back from Death's door like a Titan, the plants had run away from me and I was unable to bring them under control. Raised by Les Stothard, the legendary grower behind the Blyton Belle marrow I shall be giving this crop detailed attention this season.

On my own plot I have now placed chitted parsnip seeds to 21 bore holes (3 drums) with another 4 drums to go. The seeds are chitting fast and furious now, but I have noticed there does seem to be a lot less seeds in a packet this season so I'm only putting 2 seeds in each station, sometimes one if I only have an odd number chitted. I would prefer to put three in each but I'm sure they'll all come up.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Totally agree about non-rotation.
I've never had a problem with my onions in 10 years growing them in the same soil until last years botrytis attack which can happen in virgin soil anyway.
By the way, you seem to be one of only a handfull of people who actually got a cold...sorry...I mean swine flu last year.
Global Pandemic my arse.
Global Warming my arse too ...LOL
P.S the fantastic Shallots you kindly gave me are rooting through the bottom of the pots now ,should I plant 'em out ?
Cheers,Dan.

Simon (Smithyveg) said...

Dan,

Start hardening the shallots off during the day. I shall be planting mine out during Easter week probably.

And I'm glad I took a 'hit' and saved millions of you from certain death!